Anandakuti Vihar is one of the oldest institution of its type. It is the center for Theravada Buddhism in Nepal.
As we observe in the History of the Modern Nepal, the Name “Ananda Kuti Vihar” resembles as the first Historical Centre for the development of Theravada Buddhism in Modern Nepal. Under the foundership of Late. Ven. Bhikkhu Dhammaloka Maha Thero. The Monastery was established in 1943 AD (2000 B.S.). At the consecrated (pious) and peaceful spot to the north face of Swoyambhu hill, at a distance of a kilometer from most sacred Buddhist Stupa of Swoyambhu (Monkey Temple). The initiation of the Holistic Monastery begins with a very small hut as a refuse from congested neighborhood of crowded city.
Unlike other temples being open, spacious and peaceful and surrounded by wide forest. The Chetiya itself is different from all the other innumerable chaityas of the valley alike Srilankan Chetiyas. The foundation of Chetiya was laid in 1946 AD by the late Ven. Bhikkhu Narad Mahathero of Vajiraramaya, Colombo, Srilanka and proudly named “Srilankarama Chetiya”. It is enshrined with the sacred relics of Gautam Buddha – a gift of Srilankan Government. Besides Chetiya an enshrinement of Lord Buddha gifted by U. Chandramani Mahathero of Myanmar. A Dhamma Hall with image of Lord Buddha received from Thailand, statue of founder, Late. Ven. Bhikkhu Dhammaloka Mahathero and Late. Ven. Bhikkhu Dr. Amritananda Mahanayaka Mahathero; an Uposathagara and residential quarters for monks.
Ananda Kuti Vihar is the first Theravada Vihar in modern Nepal, actively participating in the preservation and propagation of Theravada Buddhism through various ancient and modern techniques.
Anandakuti Vihar Swoyambhu Circular Road G.P.O. Box: 3007 Ph. 4271420